Is it a good company at a reasonable price? Analysts’ recommendations go from Strong Buy to Sell and everything in between. The consensus12 month stock shows a minor loss of 3.29%. This is a cyclical stock, so it is important when you buy. Currently it is near its recent high. When stocks are at an all-time high, it is generally not a good buying time. All my testing is saying that the stock price is relatively expensive.
I do not own this stock of Teck Resources Ltd (TSX-TECK.B, NYSE-TECK). In 2008, I wanted to cover some resource stocks and this is one that I decided to take a look at. The time to buy this stock is when it cuts its dividend. For example, I bought this stock in 2008 and sold in 2009. I bought this stock because the company purchased Fording Canadian Coal Trust at exactly the wrong time and got into financial difficulties and the stock price dropped off a cliff as they had to cut dividends. When the stock recovered somewhat in 2009, I sold for a profit.
When I was updating my spreadsheet, I noticed that sometimes you can win pick on this cyclical stocks. See the 10 year return below which started at a really low point for this stock. But, note you can also lose big.
This company and Anglo American are to have a merger of equals. See the Press Release.
If you had invested in this company in December 2015, for $1,003.92 you would have bought 188 shares at $5.34 per share. In December 2025, after 10 years you would have received $958.80 in dividends. The stock would be worth $12,353.48. Your total return would have been $13,312.28. This would be a total return of 31.49% per year with 25.83% from capital gain and 2.96% from dividends.
| Cost | Tot. Cost | Shares | Years | Dividends | Stock Val | Tot Ret |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| $5.34 | $1,003.92 | 188 | 10 | $958.80 | $12,353.48 | $13,312.28 |
The current dividend yield is low with no current dividend growth. The current dividend yield is low (below 2%) at 0.50%. The 5, 10 and historical dividend yields are also low at 0.90%, 0.82% and 1.10%. The dividend growth for the past 5 years is at 20%. This is because of a one time increase of 150% in 2022. They also gave some special dividends in 2022/4/5.
The Dividend Payout Ratios (DPR) are good. The DPR for 2025 for Earnings per Share (EPS) is good at 18% with 5 year coverage at 19%. The DPR for 2025 for Adjusted Earnings per Share (AEPS) is good at 16% with 5 year coverage at 10%. The DPR for 2025 for Cash Flow per Share (CFPS) is good at 7% with 5 year coverage at 7%. The DPR for 2025 for Free Cash Flow (FCF) is non-calculable due to negative FCF. FCF varies in 2025 from a negative $290M to a negative $1,018M. FCF is expected to be positive in 2026.
| Item | Cur | 5 Years |
|---|---|---|
| EPS | 17.67% | 18.78% |
| AEPS | 16.18% | 10.13% |
| CFPS | 6.86% | 6.98% |
| FCF | -84.83% | -82.46% |
Debt Ratios are good. The Long Term Debt/Market Cap Ratio for 2025 is good at 0.13 and currently at 0.08. The Liquidity Ratio for 2025 is good at 2.54 and 1.48 currently. The Debt Ratio for 2025 is good at 2.34 and 2.44 currently. The Leverage and Debt/Equity Ratios for 2025 are good at 1.82 and 0.78 and currently at 1.76 and 0.72.
| Type | Year End | Ratio Curr |
|---|---|---|
| Lg Term R | 0.13 | 0.08 |
| Intang/GW | 0.02 | 0.03 |
| Liquidity | 2.54 | 1.48 |
| Liq. + CF | 2.81 | 2.59 |
| Debt Ratio | 2.34 | 2.44 |
| Leverage | 1.82 | 1.76 |
| D/E Ratio | 0.78 | 0.72 |
The Total Return per Year is shown below for years of 5 to 32 to the end of 2025. Under the Capital Gain column is the portion of the Total Return attributable to capital gains. Under the Dividend column is the portion of the Total Return attributable to dividends. See chart below.
| From | Years | Div. Gth | Tot Ret | Cap Gain | Div. |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 2020 | 5 | 20.11% | 25.35% | 23.25% | 2.10% |
| 2015 | 10 | -1.81% | 31.49% | 28.53% | 2.96% |
| 2010 | 15 | 6.30% | 1.35% | 0.41% | 0.93% |
| 2005 | 20 | 1.12% | 5.28% | 3.82% | 1.46% |
| 2000 | 25 | 6.65% | 12.61% | 9.68% | 2.93% |
| 1995 | 30 | 5.51% | 6.95% | 5.53% | 1.41% |
| 1993 | 32 | 5.16% | 7.00% | 5.61% | 1.39% |
The 5-year low, median, and high median Price/Earnings per Share Ratios are 10.09, 12.14 and 14.19. The corresponding 10 year ratios are 7.76, 9.74 and 8.64. The corresponding historical ratios are 6.53, 11.11 and 14.19. The current ratio is 15.39 based on a stock price of $91.70 and EPS estimate for 2026 of $5.96. The current ratio is above the high ratio of the 10 year median ratios. This stock price testing suggests that the stock price is relatively expensive.
I also have Adjusted Earnings per Share (AEPS) data. The 5-year low, median, and high median Price/Adjusted Earnings per Share Ratios are 8.99, 10.82 and 12.65. The corresponding 10 year ratios are 5.40, 9.44 and 11.93. The corresponding historical ratios are 8.68, 11.12 and 17.48. The current ratio is 15.54 based on a stock price of $91.70 and AEPS estimate for 2026 of $5.90. The current ratio is above the high ratio of the 10 year median ratios. This stock price testing suggests that the stock price is relatively expensive.
I get a Graham Price of $80.05. The 10-year low, median, and high median Price/Graham Price Ratios are 0.34, 0.49 and 0.74. The current ratio is 1.15 based on a stock price of $91.70. This ratio is above the high ratio of the 10 year median ratios. This stock price testing suggests that the stock price is relatively expensive. I get a 10-year median Price/Book Value per Share Ratio of 0.79. The current ratio is 1.90 based on a Book Value of $24,439M, Book Value per Share of $48.27 and a stock price of $91.70. The current ratio is 139% above the 10 year median ratio. This stock price testing suggests that the stock price is relatively expensive.
I also have a Book Value per Share estimate for 2026 of $58.84. This implies a current ratio of 1.56 with a stock price of $91.70 and a Book Value of $29,793M. This ratio is 96% above the 10 year median ratio. This stock price testing suggests that the stock price is relatively expensive.
I get a 10-year median Price/Cash Flow per Share Ratio of 3.93. The current ratio is 8.25 based on Cash Flow per Share estimate for 2026 of $11.12, Cash Flow of $5,631M and a stock price of $91.70. The current ratio is 110% above the 10 year median ratio. This stock price testing suggests that the stock price is relatively expensive. I noticed that the Cash Flow on this stock can vary a lot.
I get an historical median dividend yield of 1.10%. The current dividend yield is 0.55% based on dividends of $0.50 and a stock price of $91.70. The current dividend yield is 50% below the historical median dividend yield. This stock price testing suggests that the stock price is relatively expensive.
I get a 10 year median dividend yield of 0.82%. The current dividend yield is 0.55% based on dividends of $0.50 and a stock price of $91.70. The current dividend yield is 33% below the 10 year median dividend yield. This stock price testing suggests that the stock price is relatively expensive. I would question how good this test is as dividends are generally flat and increased only occasionally. (8 times in the last 32 years.)
The 10-year median Price/Sales (Revenue) Ratio is 1.32. The current ratio is 3.09 based on Revenue of $15,017M, Revenue per Share of $29.66 and a stock price of $91.70. The current ratio is 135% above the 10 year median ratio. This stock price testing suggests that the stock price is relatively expensive.
Results of stock price testing is that the stock price is that the stock price is probably relatively expensive. The dividend yield test says this but I wonder how good these tests are because of generally flat dividends. The P/S Ratio test says that the stock price is relatively expensive. All my tests say the same think, that the stock price is relatively expensive.
When I look at analysts’ recommendations, I find Strong Buy (6), Buy (1), Hold (7), Underperform (1), and Sell (2). The consensus would be a Buy. The 12 month stock price consensus is $88.18 with a high of $120.00 and a low of $51.00. The consensus stock price of $88.18 implies a loss of 3.29% with a 3.84% from a capital loss and 0.55% from Dividends based on a current stock price of $91.70.
The analysts on Stock Chase vary a lot in their opinion of this stock from Buy to Do Not Buy. They find the merger with Anglo American interesting. Amy Legate-Wolfe on Motley Fool says that Canada’s critical-minerals push is heating up, and Teck could be a direct way to invest in the copper-heavy supply chains. Jitendra Parashar on Motley Fool says Teck’s stronger balance sheet and copper-focused growth strategy make the stock an appealing long-term investment. The company put out a Press Release about their fourth quarter of 2025. The company put out a Press Release about their second quarter of 2026.
Simply Wall Street via Yahoo Finance reviews this stock. Some say it is slightly undervalued and some say slightly overvalued. Simply Wall Street has one warning of Earnings are forecast to decline by an average of 11.1% per year for the next 3 years.
Teck is a base metals miner with copper and zinc operations in Canada, the United States, Chile, and Peru. In September 2025, it agreed to merge with Anglo American in an all-equity deal. Its web site is here Teck Resources Ltd.
The last stock I wrote about was about was BRP Inc (TSX-DOO, OTC-DOOO) ... learn more. The next stock I will write about will be North West Company (TSX-NWC, OTC-NWTUF) ... learn more on Wednesday, September 30, 2026 around 5 pm. Tomorrow on my other blog I will write about Wolf of Oakville Stocks.... learn more on Tuesday, September 29, 2026 around 5 pm.
This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. I am not a licensed professional investment advisor. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.
See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment