Wednesday, November 30, 2011

All the Industrial Stocks That I Track

First, if you are interested in a Margin Account with your broker, read this blog first. See Dividend Girl’s blog.

What I want to talk about today is all the companies in the Industrial sector that I follow. Since I follow some 28 Industrial sector stocks, I will talk about 14 of them today and the rest tomorrow. For all the stock I follow, I have shown the link to my blog entries.

The first blog entry should help you answer the questions of whether or not you might like to invest in the stock.

The 2nd blog entry deals with its stock price and you can compare the past median values to current ones to see if you would want to invest in it today. For example, you can compare current P/E Ratios from financial sites to the median P/E Ratios given in my blog. The G&M and Reuter can both give you current ratios. For Reuter, use TO after the stock symbol to find stock listings for Canadian companies. For Ag Growth International would be the symbol of “AFN.TO”.

For a dividend paying stock portfolio, you might want to buy Industrial stocks after you buy safer Utilities and financial stocks. See my site for information on setting up a portfolio. Also, Industrial stocks cover a wide field of endeavors. One definition is “in stock market vernacular, general, catch-all category including firms producing or distributing goods and services that are not classified as utility, consumer, or financial companies”.

Ag Growth International (TSX-AFN). This is a company that I recently bought after tracking it for a while. It changed from a unit trust company to a corporation in 2009. Dividend yield is good, and after the change, dividends have increased. DPRs are high, but I expect that to change. Growth has generally been good with dividend growth around 8% per year over the past 5 years. For my blog entries dated September 2011, click here or here.

Ballard Power Systems Inc. (TSX-BLD, NASDAQ-BLDP). This is a stock I used to own, but no longer do. It is not a dividend paying company. I liked its green story at one point, but it is not making money. For my blog entries dated October 2011, click here.

Bombardier Inc. (TSX-BBD.B). I have had this company since 1987. I have made a return on this company of 13% per year. The main reason for this is that I had it before the tech bubble of 2000. They stopped dividends for a while, but it is back paying them since 2009. Dividends are low at only 1.5% yield. DPRs are correspondingly low. Dividends had increased in the past, but have not increased since they were reinstated. DPRs are low, but increasing. They will have to start to earn more money for dividends to be increased. For my blog entries dated June 2011, click here or here.

Canadian Helicopters Group (TSX-CHL.A). I have just started tracking this company as it looked like an interesting investment. It used to be an income trust, but converted to a corporation at the end of 2010. Dividends are good at 4.7%, but they have been level since 2008. DPRs are reasonable. For my blog entries dated March 2011, click here or here.

Canadian National Railway (TSX-CNR). I own this stock. I bought it 2005, 2009 and 2011 and I have made a return of 16% per year. Dividends are low at 1.7% and DPRs are correspondently low Dividend growth rate over the past 5 years is around 16% per year. For my blog entries dated March 2011, click here or here.

Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd (TSX-CP). I used to own this stock, but sold it to consolidate my railway stock into one company, CNR. Dividends are low at 1.2% and DPRs are correspondently low. The 5 year Dividend growth rate is 12% per year. For my blog entries dated March 2011, click here or here or here.

Canam Group Inc. (TSX-CAM). I bought some of this stock because I thought it was oversold, but I do not expect to keep it for the long term. Dividends were decent, around 2%, before they were suspended this year. They are having a bad year in 2011. Although it is hard on investors who count on dividends for income, the company is being prudent. For my blog entries dated November 2011, click here or here.

CCL Industries Inc. (TSX-CCL.B). I do not own this stock, but I have been following it for a while. Dividends are on the low side at a 5 year median of 1.9%. DPRs are low. Increases are good with a 5 year growth just under 10% per year. For my blog entries dated November 2011, click here or here.

Finning International Inc. (TSX-FTT). I do not own this stock, but I have been following it for a while. Dividends are on the low side at a 5 year median of 1.9%. DPRs are low. They did not make a profit in 2010, but they have a 5 year dividend growth of 16% per year. For my blog entries dated November 2011, click here or here.

Genivar Inc. (TSX-GNV). I have bought this stock recently and have lost money on it, but I expect better in the long term. Dividends are on quite good with 5 year median of 5.1% and 5 year median of DPRs high, but manageable. They were an income trust which converted at the beginning of this year. They have not raised their dividends since 2009. For my blog entries dated November 2011, click here or here.

Gennum Corp (TSX-GND). I used to own this stock but sold it because I thought it was going nowhere. Dividends have not increased since 2006. 5 year median dividend yield is 1.7% and DPRs are low. For my blog entries dated November 2011, click here or here.

IBI Group (TSX-IBG). I have recently started to track this stock. It was until recently a partnership, but changed to a corporation recently. 5 year median dividend yield is 10.3%, but current one is lower at 7.7%. The company lowered its dividend by 40% on changed to a corporation. DPRs are getting better and seem to be in an acceptable range for 2012. For my blog entries dated June 2011, click here or here

Magna International Inc. (TSX-MG, NYSE- MGA). I have tracked this stock for a while. Both the dividend yield and the DPRs are very low. The 5 year median dividend yield is just 1.25%. Dividends are inconsistent and have been going down. For my blog entries dated November 2011, click here or here

McCoy Corp (TSX-MCB). This is a small cap I now own and I have tracked it for some time. Dividend yield is low with a 5 year median dividend yield of just 2%. Dividends are inconsistent and DPRs are good. For my blog entry dated May 2011, click here.

Tomorrow, I will talk about the other 14 industrial stock I follow.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. See my website for stocks followed and investment notes. Follow me on twitter.

1 comment: