Thursday, February 12, 2009

Stephen Gadsden and Canadian 6 Pak 2

As I said yesterday, I will review the last 3 stocks of Stephen Gadsden Canadian 6 Pak. The stocks he is recommending are BMO (TSX- BMO); BCE (TSX-BCE); TransAlta Corp (TSX-TA); Enbridge Inc (TSX-ENB); TD Bank (TSX-TD) and Power Corp (TSX-POW). Since I follow all these stocks and own most of them, I thought I would review them and talk about what others are saying about these stocks. The one I do not own is Power Corp, but this is because I own Power Financial (TSX-PWF).

The next one to look at is Enbridge Inc (TSX- ENB) and this is a stock that I have reviewed several times on this blog. Looking at insider buying and selling, I see lots of insider selling. Insiders selling can be for a lot of reasons, so this does not tell us much. What is interesting is that all the selling has been above $40 a share and the buying has been below $40 a share. Looking at other analysts, the ratings on this stock run from Strong Buy to Hold, but the mean rating would be a Strong Buy.

I started to buy Enbridge in 2005 and bought more in the later part 2008 and again in 2009. Quicken says that I have made a profit on this stock of 6% per year. Not bad, considering we are in bear market and I have recently bought this stock. For this stock, that is due to report for December 2008 in a few days, analyst feel that earnings and cash flow will be fairly flat for 2008 and improve in 2009. I have updated my spreadsheet for this stock. See my spreadsheet at www.spbrunner.com/stocks/enb.htm.

The next one is TD Bank (TSX-TD). Looking at insider buying and selling, I see lots of insider selling, but it all seems to do with options. Looking at other analysts, the ratings on this stock run the full gamete from Strong Buy to Sell and everything in between. This is the same as for BMO, however, in this case the mean rating is a buy.

I have had this stock since 2000 and Quicken says that I have made a profit on it of 5% per year. We are in a bear market where banks are being hit very hard. For this stock, analyst seem to be lowering their expectations for 2009, but still feel that earnings will be higher in both 2009 and 2010 than in 2008. I have updated my spreadsheet for this stock. See my spreadsheet at www.spbrunner.com/stocks/td.htm.

The last stock to look at is Power Corp (TSX-POW). I have Power Financial rather this Power Corp. I tend to like financial stock. This stock has not done as well as Power Financial over the years, but it is felt a Power Corp is a more stable stock than Power Financial. This, of course, all depends on your point of view. Looking at insider buying and selling, I see lots of insider selling, but it is hard to tell if this means anything.

When looking at what the analysts are saying, the ratings on this stock run from Strong Buy to Hold, but the mean rating would be a Buy. For this stock, analyst seem to be lowering their expectations for 2009, and feel that earnings for 2009 will drop around 10% from that earned in 2008. They also seem to feel that earnings for 2010 should be better. I have updated my spreadsheet for this stock. See my spreadsheet at www.spbrunner.com/stocks/pow.htm.

Note to yesterday, BCE has just raised their dividend by 5% and posted a loss of $.06 for the latest quarter. See my site for information on analyst ratings.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. See my website at www.spbrunner.com/stocks.html for a list of the stocks for which I have put up spreadsheets on my web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment