Friday, December 12, 2008

Canadian Bank Stocks

I have reloaded my index to the stock that I have talked about and this is available on my web site at www.spbrunner.com/stocks/indexport.htm. I have highlighted in blue the stocks for which I have recently updated this index report. I have the banks grouped together so that you can easily compare them on a number of measurements. All the measurements are on a 5 year average basis.

By looking at these stocks together in this way, it is plain that the Bank of Montreal has not done as well in the last 5 years as the other 3 banks I have reviewed. It is only on ROE (Return of Equity) and Dividend Growth measurements that it has done about as well as the other banks. The Bank of Montreal has done particularly badly in the Revenue Growth measurement, as it has not grown its Revenue for the last 3 years and this is worrisome. If a company cannot grow Revenue, then eventually, it will not grow in the other measurements either. The Royal Bank has not got a good 5 year growth in Revenue, but this is because the Revenue shrunk in 2008. This is not necessarily a bad thing, if this does not persist.

By putting up a number of measurements on this index, you will be able to decide what stock you might want to investigate further for investment purposes, as you will be able to easily compare stocks. It is especially helpful to compare stocks with the Sub-Index and/or risk categories. If you want, you can copy the index htm document into a spreadsheet, to sort it in other ways.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. See my website at www.spbrunner.com/stocks.html for a list of the stocks for which I have put up spreadsheets on my web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment